Sunday, August 11, 2013

And so it begins....

Well, we did it.  We stopped talking about it and bit the proverbial parental bullet (which, as long as I'm starting this blog with cliches, I might as well add is looking like it will be more than either of us ever intended on chewing) that comes with speaking of future pets hypothetically around your children.  We bought the goats.

As I write there are two Nigerian dwarf kids (hopefully, God forbid we lose one on the first night) sleeping in a pen Brian just made out of a couple of old pallets we found in the back yard when we moved here (pretty darn clever actually; my husband moonlights as MacGyver :) ).  They are laying (and peeing) on a bed of newspaper inside one of our sheds instead of the grassy ground my eight year old daughter has insisted all night would be best for their feet (I don't question that one; How to Raise Goats: Everything You Need to Know by Carol Amundson is practically her bible right now, she can quote it on almost any goat-related subject).  I am most definitely on the side of de-goating our shed as soon as possible, because if the 90 minute car ride back to our house is any indication, that shed is going to make the burger we accidently left on the top of our fridge for weeks (all the while trying to sniff out what was dead in our kitchen) seem like a pleasant memory.  

I will go into more detail on how we got to this crazy point in tomorrow's post, I'm too tired to make much sense tonight (case and point- the above paragraphs), but I really thought it would be fitting to start this blog today; our first day as goat owners.  I hope it will be a place that friends, family, and  other future goat owners can find amusing anecdotes, and hopefully the latter group will also read about our stupid mistakes and not repeat them (I'm not kidding myself, I know there will be a bunch, in fact, as you will see in tomorrow's post, we already have).  But mostly I want to write this for my girls, who I love so much, even when they get me into these crazy situations :)
(The first members of our herd- Lily our middle child's doeling, right, and Edward, the wether we bought to keep her company until we could find a goat for our older daughter)

No comments:

Post a Comment